Smart Cities Big Data and the Meaninglessness of Mere Information: We attempt to take down the idea that more data is the solution to our problems. Without wisdom, and without an ethical frame, numbers mean nothing.
ByDiscovered by Player FM and our community — copyright is owned by the publisher, not Player FM, and audio streamed directly from their servers.
Smart cities, “big data”, and the meaninglessness of mere information.
- The metadata of experience, the experience of metadata – Nick Carr
- China’s New Frontiers in Dystopian Tech – Rene Chun at The Atlantic
- “Smart” refigerators DDOS-ing things
- Modern-day redlining: How banks block people of color from homeownership
- See also: Ta-Nehisi Coates’ discussion of redlining in his much-discussed piece in The Atlantic, “The Case For Reparations”
Many thanks to the people who help us make this show possible by their financial support! This month’s sponsors:
- Andrew Fallows
- Kurt Klassen
- Jake Grant
- Jeremy W. Sherman